Wednesday, January 25, 2012

OMG! It's a Catch 22...

Did you know... as we age... we women that is... I mean we older women... alright... menopausal women, ok!?!  Anyway, as we women age, estrogen and progesterone decrease and as these hormones decrease, cortisol rises.  When cortisol rises, insulin rises and insulin is a fat storing hormone. 

That is first.   Then you need to know that when your cortisol is high, you have major sleep distrubances.  Cortisol is your stress hormone.  It gives you an overactive brain and you feel pumped up--as in fight or flight!

Ok, NOW you need this information... The inability to sleep.... RAISES CORTISOL!!!!  Which, by the way, (the inability to sleep) diminishes your thyroid, which is a fat burning hormone.

To summarize:
  1. Estrogen and progesterone decrease 
  2. Cortisol rises
  3. Insulin rises
  4. Have sleep disturbances
  5. Thyroid diminishes
  6. Cotisol levels rise
Whose bright idea was this????  Hmmmmm?

How can anyone lose weight and be in menopause at the same time????

A year ago I started blogging about what I was learning and going through as I worked at being healthier.  Since then, I have had foot surgery, a dislocated knee, an out of whack sacroiliac joint, retired from my job, moved 4 1/2 hours away, and moved in with Joe.  Oh, and did I forget to tell you about gaining 15 pounds???  This is not healthier!  I am definitely cooking healthier.  Just recently I am back to exercising more regularly, though I cannot yet go running or even much power walking.  So I am on another quest... to lose the fifteen I gained when I was on my 2011 health quest!!!

What's a woman to do???

No comments:

Post a Comment