Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I Am Living to be 125 years old!

Many of you have heard me say this.  I used to state I was living to be 100 years old--but let's face it, every Tom, Dick and Harry is living to be 100 these days.  So... I upped the ante!  I figure medical science will stay ahead of me so I have a pretty good chance!

But, I am not just relying on medical science to keep me going. (though the Bionic Man did look pretty good!)  There is a lot of reliable research out there giving good information on what I can do to increase my chances of a long and healthy life.  For instance, I usually think in terms of needing an hour a day to exercise.  And yes, that would be wonderful and best.  But in a study of 416,175 Taiwanese adults published Aug. 16, 2011 in the Lancet, exercising for 15 minutes a day is linked to a longer life.  Whoopee!  That means instead of searching for a way to insert an extra hour for exercise into my day, I can squeeze in 15 minutes on those busy days and I will still be increasing my chances for 125 years of healthy living. 

What the researchers found was that those who exercised 15 minutes a day lived three years longer on average than those who exercised less.  And... that more was better--every additional 15 minutes cut the risk of dying over eight years by 4%. 

So, I guess I better stick to finding an hour... but still, during the busy holidays... 15 minutes (and three extra years!) are better than nothing by a long shot.  Gotta go...have to fit in that 15 minute walk and then wrap some more presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment